Make note-taking more effective by taking “sketch notes”. Both the visual cues and the structure of the sketch notes page they make will help them to understand and retain the new information. Additionally, the process of turning information into an eye-catching sketch notes page, also helps students remember what they’ve learned.
What you Get:
- Sketch Note Toolbox (1 pg. handout or poster)
- How to Make BOLD Letters (1 pg. handout)
- Drawing A Stick Figure (1 pg. handout)
- Sketch notes for Self (1 pg. handout)
- Sketch Notes for Self Presentation (16 pg. PDF presentation)
- Famous Person Sketch Notes Presentation (19 pg. PDF presentation)
- Teacher Instructions (3 pages)
- Visual Structure of sketch notes (PNG blog images) (4 images)
- Tip for Teaching sketch notes (PNG blog image) (1 image)
>>>>> A total of 47 pages!
- Make a sketch note page about themselves (and how they use 21st Century Skills).
- Make a sketch note page about a famous person (and how they use 21st Century Skills).
- Create BOLD letters to remember important words.
- Incorporate figures showing action into their notes.
- Make bullet points.
- Show connections using connecting images.
- Chunk information using frames.
- Try out different structures for arranging the page.
I created this toolbox to make the sketching part inviting. I used it with elementary students, but I think that older students and adults (and teachers) could also learn to put sketch notes to use during classes and meetings. This page is in black and white so that copying and enlarging is more affordable. The quality of the graphics is high enough to make a valuable poster for your classroom.
You will also get a sheet giving step-by-step instructions on how to make bold splashy lettering and a printable handout about how to draw an expressive stick figure.
Would you like your students to look forward to taking notes? Note-taking doesn’t have to be boring! Say goodbye to bland notes and get ready to spice up your note-taking 🙂
You will get a 16 page PDF presentation on how to do a sketch note page about yourself and how you use 21st Century Skills. To show this presentation, view it in “Full Screen” and use arrows on your keyboard to move through the slides. Print out the image seen on the last page (also in the packet), so that students have a reference page on how to make their own sketch note page about themselves.
You will also get a presentation giving step-by-step information to create a sketch note page about a famous person. The steps ask students to tell how they used the 21st Century skills of Creativity, Critical Thinking, Communication, and Collaboration to become famous.
I’ve also included some images about sketch notes that I used for 2 blog posts. One image gives tips for teaching sketch notes. The other 4 images are different visual structures (ways of laying out the page) for sketch notes. The images that demonstrate the visual structures also give some more tips for making sketch notes.
If you want just the images, I have them available for free here.
You can read more in these blog posts:
See Expressive Monkey’s blog post about The Visual Structure of sketch notes.
See Expressive Monkey’s blog post about Tips for Teaching sketch notes.
Easily download this zip file with a link that is automatically emailed to you immediately after your purchase and you can begin using this lesson right away!
Thanks for visiting!
There are no reviews yet.