This versatile third grade art lesson collection is perfect for elementary students in grades 3. This bundle includes seven engaging lessons for each grade level, covering a variety of artistic skills and concepts. This selection of art lessons features a lesson on a famous artist, color theory, color practice, and the exploration of abstract art. Additionally, students will enjoy a guided drawing activity (directed drawing) and an entertaining animal-themed roll & draw game.
This is not meant to be a full curriculum, but it will get you through a significant part of your year. You can extend several of these lessons by finishing them with paint or mixed media. You could also have students make a pumpkin out of clay with a face.
What you’ll love!
♥ Covers diverse skills and ideas across elementary grade levels.
♥ Fosters the mastery of various drawing strategies.
♥ Save time with user-friendly lesson plans and easy prep.
♥ Ensures student engagement and enjoyment.
♥ A valuable collection you’ll use for years to come.
Summary of what you Get:
- Famous Artist • Picasso’s Roosters (brought back to life)
- Elements & Principles • Elements Interactive (all elements of art)
- Color Theory • Pumpkin Coloring (color mixing)
- Color Practice • Chicks with Camouflage (complementary colors & textures)
- Abstract • Abstract Roll & Draw (also patterns & textures)
- Animal Roll & Draw • How to Draw Llamas (also 3D – pompoms, paper flowers, tassels)
- Directed Drawing • Winter Animals (also Google Slides version)
More details about each lesson:
1 ✦ Picasso’s Roosters
- Teacher Instructions (4 pages)
- 2 versions of the Cubist Rooster drawing pages (2 pages)
- Rooster Pattern Ideas (1 page)
- Examples of Roosters and Patterns (1 page)
- Picasso Coloring Pages (3 pages)
- Definitions of “Cubism” and “Abstract” (1 page)
- Rooster Coloring Pages (3 pages)
>>>>>> A total of 15 pages
Picasso’s Roosters Feedback:
Students loved creating the roosters! It was fun and engaging and the final project was fantastic.
– Erika B.
2 ✦ Elements Interactive:
• Instructions and Variations (3 pages)
• Interactive Pages (2 pages)
• Definition Cards – word wall words -(3 pages)
• Element of Art words without definitions (3 pages)
• Blank definition boxes (for students to fill out by hand) (1 page)
• Editable Powerpoint – lets you type in your own definitions (8 pages)
>>>>> A total of 20 pages!
Elements Interactive Feedback:
This resource was amazing! It was the first art project we started with in class and students were super engaged and had a lot of fun with it.
— Bel B.
3 ✦ Pumpkin Coloring:
- Instructions (3 pages)
- Color Mixing (2 pages)
- Color Wheel (1 page)
- Coloring Pages (12 pages)
- Pumpkin Feelings (1 page)
- Drawing Ideas (1 page)
- Blank Pumpkins (6 pages)
>>>>> This makes a total of 26 pages!
Pumpkin Coloring Feedback:
We did this project and used watercolor pencils to experiment with color and flow. So fun! They loved it! ~ Beth R.
4 ✦ Chicks with Camouflage:
- Presentation (10 pages)
- Teacher Instructions (5 pages)
- Drawing Starter Pages (2 pages)
- Drawing Idea Pages (2 pages)
- Color Complement Mixing (1 page)
>>>>> A total of 20 pages!
What do you get when you mix animal camouflage with color theory, textures, and drawing? A delightful spring art lesson that integrates a little natural science with a fun hands on art activity making chicks with camouflage!
5 ✦ Abstract Roll & Draw:
- Teacher Instructions – 5 pages
- Student Instructions – 3 page
- Sample Page – 1 page
- Roll & Draw Pages – 5 pages
- Texture & Pattern Roll & Draw Pages – 2 pages
- Texture & Pattern Reference Pages – 2 pages
- Definitions – 4 pages
>>>> A total of 22 pages!
Abstract Roll & Draw Feedback:
Students were engaged for the entire class. Children chose to work alone or with a partner. One group decided to draw the same element that was rolled and were excited to see how differently each piece of artwork turned out.
~ Colleen H.
6 ✦ How to Draw Llamas
- Teacher Instructions (10 pages)
- Roll & Draw (3 pages)
- Choice Drawing (3 pages)
- Sample Llamas (3 pages)
- Print & Go (1 page)
- Directed Drawing (1 page)
- Texture Ideas (1 page)
- Paper Flowers (2 pages)
- Tassels (2 pages)
- Pom-poms (1 page)
>>>>> A total of 27 pages!
How to Draw Llamas Feedback:
THE CUTEST LLAMA DIRECTED DRAWING AROUND! I love it! All of the different ways to make it are darling. Can’t go wrong!
~ Molly M.
7 ✦ Winter Animals:
- Printable Step-by-Step Pages (9 pages)
- Google Slide Step-by-Step Pages (9 pages)
- Google Slide Choice Board (1 page)
- Printable Drawing Pages (3 pages)
>>>>> A total of 24 pages! (9 animals)
Winter Animals Feedback:
Great resource! Thank you so much! My students enjoyed each animal and were able to complete them successfully on their own.
✨From studying Picasso and abstract roosters to drawing llamas and learning the elements of art, this bundle makes teaching third grade art more fun.✨
Be sure to take a look at this Art Lesson Bundle, which includes all the grade-level bundles.
See each grade level bundle:
- First Grade Art Lessons
- Second Grade Art Lessons
- Third Grade Art Lessons
- Fourth Grade Art Lessons
- Fifth Grade Art Lessons
You can also add on these bundles without repeating any lessons:
- Back to School Bundle
- Teaching Art Made Easier
- Doodle Drawing All Seasons
- Drawing Fun All Year
- Op Art Bundle
Easily download the PDFs with links that are automatically emailed to you immediately after your purchase, and you can begin drawing right away!
Thanks for visiting!
Expressive Monkey makes low-prep, high-engagement resources that help students build confidence and express themselves through ART!
Oh, wait! Don’t forget to follow me on Teachers Pay Teachers … just click to follow!
Created by Stacey Peters, © Expressive Monkey
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.